The history of Fossil Creek Community Church dates back to 1921 when evangelist Raymond T. Richie held a revival in Fort Worth. Many converts of the revival, along with others from an independent Pentecostal church, organized the Rosen Heights Assembly of God under the direction of Rev. J. C. Wilder.
Rev Wilder pioneered the church, meeting in a tent at 22nd and Clinton streets. During the next year a white, wooden-framed building was erected and Rosen Heights became the second (and larger) Assembly of God church in Fort Worth. Rev Wilder, who had helped form the Assemblies of God denomination, left Rosen Heights church in 1925 after four years of ministry.
Rev. E. B. Crump was elected pastor in 1925, and ministered to the congregation for a year until Rev. M. M. Penson, who also participated in the forming of the Assemblies of God, came to guide the fledgling congregation as pastor.
In 1927 Rev. E. L. Newby was led by God to pastor the church, which at the time averaged 250 in attendance. During the next two years, the congregation built a brick structure, which still stands today. This was the first brick Assembly of God built in the state of Texas. Rev. Newby was elected State Superintendent of the Assemblies of God in 1929, and left Rosen Heights church in order to carry out his new duties as State Superintendent.
Rev O. B. Braune became pastor in 1930, and continued the work of the Lord as pastor of the Rosen Height congregation for the next thirty-six years. Under Rev. Braune’ s ministry the church engaged in citywide outreach, and established a city mission for the poor.
In 1966 Rev. Ira Stanphill became pastor, and the next eight years saw the largest sustained growth in the church’s history.
In 1971 the church relocated on eight acres of the old Shannon Homestead near Rockwood Golf Course. The church name was also changed to Rockwood Park Assembly of God. The facility was a colonial design surrounded by large, beautiful pecan trees. The structure seated 850 and had larger educational facilities. At the time, the Rockwood church facility was acclaimed as one of the most beautifully designed churches in the country.
In addition to Dr. Bert Webb, who served as interim pastor during Rev. Stanphill’s illness, there have been four other pastors; Rev Otis Keener, Rev. Glenn Papit, Rev. Joe Bialy, and Rev. Ron Pettet.
In 1995 the congregation of Rockwood Park Assembly of God agreed to purchase 14 acres of land in the Fossil Creek area of north Fort Worth with the goal of constructing a new building and relocating from the Rockwood Park location. The current church property sits on North Riverside Drive just north of Western Center Boulevard. The Riverside property is in the middle of one of Fort Worth’s fastest growing areas.
In September of 1998, the Korean Baptist Church of Fort Worth purchased the Rockwood Park facility. The selling of this property was the second major milestone toward relocating the Rockwood Park congregation to the Fossil Creek property.
Construction of the new Fossil Creek facility began in early 1999. In July of 1999 the church name was changed to Fossil Creek Community Church to better align with the new property location and place special emphasis of ministry throughout the community. The congregation held its first service in the new building May 28th, 2000.
Construction of a two-story narthex was added to the north side of the existing building in 2007. This facility added several new classrooms and a new youth hall in addition to a ‘commons’ area which is a popular gathering area before and after services. A master plan has been developed for the current property with future growth plans to include construction of a larger auditorium and additional nursery facilities.
In June 2014, Rev. Ron Pettet retired from Fossil Creek Community Church (fc3) after 23 years of ministry and leading the church from Rockwood Park to Fossil Creek. His ministry is celebrated daily as God’s vision through him is seen in everything from the attitudes about serving others to the building layout.
Rev. Phillip Dow stepped in as interim pastor immediately following Rev. Pettet’s retirement. The church experienced a rather seamless transition and elected Rev. Phillip Dow to be their Senior Pastor on November 2, 2014. With the election of Rev. Phillip Dow, the church is positioned to reach North Fort Worth with proven and new techniques and methods.
We respect and are thankful for our heritage. At the same time, we look forward to the days ahead.
Thank you for reading about our story. Check back to see how it continues to unfold.